Divorces are often emotional and challenging, but when it involves immense wealth, they can also make headlines for their staggering financial settlements. This article delves into some of the most expensive divorces recorded globally, highlighting the vast fortunes involved and the notable individuals.
1. Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie Scott: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and his former wife, MacKenzie Scott, parted ways in 2019. This divorce is famed for being the most expensive in history, with Scott receiving $36 billion, making her one of the wealthiest women in the world.
2. Alec Wildenstein and Jocelyn Wildenstein: In 1999, art dealer Alec Wildenstein and Jocelyn Wildenstein ended their marriage, resulting in a settlement of $3.8 billion. This divorce was sensational for its extravagant figures and the high-profile nature of the couple.
3. Rupert Murdoch and Anna Murdoch Mann: Media mogul Rupert Murdoch’s divorce from his second wife, Anna Murdoch Mann, in 1999, resulted in a $1.7 billion settlement. This split is one of the most expensive divorces in the media industry.
4. Bernie Ecclestone and Slavica Radić: Formula One executive Bernie Ecclestone and Slavica Radić’s divorce in 2009 concluded with Radić receiving an estimated $1.2 billion. Despite the enormous settlement, the couple reportedly maintained a cordial relationship post-divorce.
5. Harold Hamm and Sue Ann Arnall: In 2012, oil magnate Harold Hamm’s divorce from Sue Ann Arnall made headlines with Arnall receiving nearly $1 billion. This divorce was particularly noted for the complexities involved in valuing Hamm’s oil company shares.
6. Adnan Khashoggi and Soraya Khashoggi: Saudi businessman Adnan Khashoggi’s divorce from Soraya Khashoggi in 1982 was one of the most expensive of the time, with a settlement of around $874 million.
7. Steve Wynn and Elaine Wynn: Casino magnate Steve Wynn’s divorce from Elaine Wynn in 2010 led to a settlement of $741 million. The Wynns divorced twice, with their second divorce being one of the costliest in the casino business.
8. Dmitry Rybolovlev and Elena Rybolovleva: Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev’s divorce from Elena Rybolovleva involved a settlement of approximately $604 million after an initial ruling for a significantly higher amount was later reduced.
9. Craig McCaw and Wendy McCaw: In 1997, telecom entrepreneur Craig McCaw and Wendy McCaw divorced, with Wendy receiving a settlement of around $460 million, marking it as one of the most expensive divorces in the telecom industry.
10. Mel Gibson and Robyn Moore: Actor Mel Gibson’s divorce from Robyn Moore in 2006 resulted in a settlement of approximately $425 million. This split is noted as one of the largest in Hollywood history.
Conclusion: These divorces showcase not just the financial aspects of high-net-worth splits but also the complexities and public interest they generate. Each case underscores the significant impact that marriage and its dissolution can have on personal fortunes, serving as a reminder of the often intricate interplay between personal relationships and financial wealth.